Saturday, November 26, 2005

The wonderful time for overeating and family fights. Who WOULDN’T love the holidays?

I made a few observations over this Thanksgiving holiday:
-My great Uncle can not read. He is somewhere in his 70’s and never finished any type of schooling. I never knew that. My Grandmother drove over to his apartment Thanksgiving morning to drop off some turkey and spend a few minutes with him. While they talked, I busied myself with my phone; I didn’t want to intrude on their conversation. At one point, he handed my Grandmother a letter and asked her to read it, he didn’t understand. She read it out loud and he understood. For some reason, that was one of the saddest scenes I have seen in my life. To actually go through life without being able to read. I thank God that I have my education.
-I think I’m an adult. As I was helping my aunt with Thanksgiving dinner, she was very candid on her views of some of the family members. In my family, to say such things in front of a young one is a big no no. Does this mean I’m an adult now?
-Everyone is getting older. My cousin, who I remember being a baby, is a senior in high school and almost taller than me!
-I have an urge to reconnect with my younger cousins. We all grew up together and were born in the same decade. When I moved back to Atlanta from Denver I thought I would spend all my time with them, but as soon as I moved here, I started going to school in Roswell and never got to see them. As time went on, I lost contact, and now I don’t talk to anyone of them besides Thanksgiving and Christmas. I invited three of them to come and visit with me for a weekend during spring semester. One is a freshman in college, another is a senior in high school and the other is a sophomore in high school. I think when and if they come down, I will tell them I am gay. That should be interesting.
-My family has so much potential to be close, but for petty reasons, we are not.
-My Mother is like my Grandfather and my Brother is like my Mother. Hmmm…
-I took my niece and nephew to Thanksgiving dinner. I love spending time with them. They are such smart kids; I just wish I could be more of an influence in their lives. I’ll try to start that this Christmas break. Take them to a museum or the new aquarium.

Other than that, my Thanksgiving break was very laid back this year. Before I went to Atlanta I went to Douglas and spent time with old friends. I had a long talk with Frier (now Futch), saw Justin, talked to Brittany’s sisters, talked to Dr. C and Queen C, talked to Lee (who is getting married in December!), had dinner with Futch, Jake, Kyle and Justin. Carla dropped in and I got to catch up with her. Went to Laura’s house and saw her and Jared. Went to Ashley’s and saw Ashley, Samantha, Catie, Mark and Drew. It was a good trip.

New person in the picture. Scott. From a South Georgia town. It’s all very new – still getting to know each other.

A couple of weeks ago some peeps from the radio station went to Savannah for a ‘Broadcasting’ field trip. Some pics below.

The new morning show is coming. I’m so excited. I’m going to be doing the job I want to have once I leave this place. I can’t wait. We have two names right now: AM Mayhem with JMJ (J*Magic, Miguel, and Jamie Lynn) OR Morning Mayhem with JMJ. Not sure yet which one we are going with.

Alright, well I’m out for now.

Good day!