Sunday, April 30, 2006

As every day passes in my life, the empathy I feel for other people grows. The pain I feel over the hate that brews within some people just astonishes me. I do not understand it.

I just finished watching the movie ‘Soldier’s Girl.’ The movie is about a transgender man and the love affair that happens with a solider in the army. I would suggest everyone see it.

There are some people who I have spoken with who believe that transgender people are ‘disgusting.’ I have always found that remark to be outrageous. Especially if it’s coming from someone who is “different” than the norm. It just breaks my heart to hear people say such ugly things about other people. Essentially, everyone has differences – different personalities, lives, stories, backgrounds, preferences. What I just can’t comprehend is when people put down someone else’s life.

If you haven’t seen the movie, I’m going to talk about the ending now, you have been warned:
At the core of the movie is a love story. A confused, yet determined solider falls for a transgender man. They grow to love each other and make a happy life. It’s all ended when a stupid, insolent, prick, murders the solider. Basically, the ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ policy in our country is problematic. It’s 6:15 in the morning and I’m too tired to really make a deep statement. I just wanted to write and say that this movie was wonderful. I’m going to make people see this. Our country has got to change. We are killing ourselves over differences that we cannot help. If we could turn all of that negative energy into positive, we could make some great changes in the world. I just wish that people would appreciate the differences of others and let them live…

In memory:
Private First Class
Barry Winchell
1977 - 1999