Sunday, January 06, 2008

Being an "adult" is not easy. Growing up and dealing with things is hard.

In middle school, high school and especially college all I focused on was getting out into the real world showing it what I had. I was going to grab life by the balls and show it that I was indeed the Daddy!

But I feel as if I stalled a bit. I'm not going as fast as I thought I would. I want to take over the world NOW and sit back and relax. Life does not work like that. You have to keep moving through the obstacles put in front of you.

Right now I'm at a crossroad.

In high school I had a conversation with my friend Brian. He asked me if I really wanted to go into radio - of course I did! It's what I had dreamed of for most of my life! But every time a teacher talked about careers that would be in demand once we entered the working force, broadcasting was never mentioned. Broadcasting was a field that would continue to shrink and consolidate as the years went on. Great. But to me, that didn't matter. I wanted to be on the radio and make people laugh. Now I'm at a point where I'm doing what I love, but I'm making no money. I've know all along I wouldn't make any money starting out. You don't get into this field if you want to drive a Range Rover...this is a toyota corolla field! So when I hear of friends who are moving on to nice, cushy jobs in big cities with expense accounts and company cars, I look at my microphone and cheap headphones and wonder if it's worth it...

"thanks so much 4 the add...
u probaly get this a lot...but..i love u on da radio! :)
thats what i want to be...a radio personality!...haha..:)"

That's why I do what I do. That's why I get late notices to bills that are due. That's why I will have bad credit for years to come... Knowing that I made someone laugh because I made fun myself and Britney is worth it. My stomach aches a little because I can't afford a nice turkey sandwhich from Larry's, but I made someone's day.

So I will continue down this road of audio bliss. I will continue to make a fool of myself just to get someone to smile in their car. Do radio personalities get into heaven? I hope so...