Friday, May 28, 2004

My cousin graduated from high school tonight. I felt like a proud older brother watching his younger brother walk across the stage and get his diploma. But of course, with anything that I attend, something pulls my mind away and gets me to think about other things. Like tonight at the graduation – my cousin Tyrone goes to South West Atlanta Christian Academy – if you haven’t heard about the school, you will in a couple of weeks. My cousin graduated with Dwight Howard, he’s supposed to be the next best thing in basketball (I think he’s supposed to be the number one pick for the NBA draft in a couple of weeks – but don’t quote me on that, as it is sports related and I usually have no clue what I’m talking about when it comes to sports). But anyway, this kid’s life is about to change—big time. I think he’s like 6’7 or somewhere around there - he’s huge! But after the graduation everyone was walking out of the church, hugging and giving congratulations to the graduates. Sitting right there in front of the church so everyone could see was a brand new BWM something something waiting for Dwight, via Nike. He stands to make 60 million dollars from an endorsement deal with Nike, and he hasn’t even been signed to a team yet!!! So that got me to thinking, why? Why does he get to have the money, fame, and glory? I’m not asking those questions for myself, but for my cousin. My earliest memory of my cousin was of him holding a basketball and saying something about Michael Jordan. He would spend countless hours outside honing his skills. He has always wanted to play basketball and make a living out of it, but I don’t think that’s going to happen for him. He was on the same winning team as this Dwight kid, but his talents were probably over looked because everyone’s eyes were focused on the beast running up and down the court hovering over everyone. I’m happy for the kid; he seems like the kind of person who is and will be very humble and down to earth – I just wish my cousin got a little piece of the pie. Well I guess he did in a way – I think they won like their division title or something like that, so he probably has the memories of the games and practices to cherish.

In other news…
My summer vacation is coming to a close; this Monday I head back to Douglas for summer term. I guess it’s going to be fun… I think it will be better than my time here home. I haven’t really done much, but then again I haven’t really wanted to. I’ve just been going to work at B&N, having lunch with people, and sitting around the house watching TV. Not a real exciting summer vacation. But I have spent way too much money since I’ve been back home! I’ve bought a few new CDS: Adam Joseph (little white boy who knows how to sing soul music – awesome), Rufus Wainwright (I’ve never heard anyone like him…very different interesting sound), Jamie Cullum (British boy who knows his jazz music!), and last but not least, Tamyra Gray (I am of the belief that she should have won the first American Idol, thank you very much!)

Well I guess the next time I post I’ll be back in wonderful Douglas…happy hunting!?