Monday, February 14, 2005

I’m sitting in the library right now. I should be typing up my African-American History notes, or studying for my Statistics test Wednesday. I’m having the same problem I have been having in every class – I’m falling asleep in every class! I don’t know what’s going on with me. I’m so use to being able to run on like three to four hours of sleep everyday. I guess now it’s finally “catching” up with me. meh

Valentine’s Day. Today. Ugh. Nothing really bad or good happened today. Today was pretty low-key. Woke up, the apocalypse wasn’t going on, so I presumed everything was ok. I went off to turn in some Spanish homework which was very overdue. I have Spanish 3 as an independent study this semester. It’s so hard to keep up and learn in that when I have five other classes going on. I found out today that I made an 83 on my first College Algebra test. That’s average for most people, for me, that was freaking awesome! I was so happy to get that B. A B is a B, and I’m taking that baby home! lol I think we have another test in like one or two weeks, so I’ll be at it again trying to figure how those numbers and letters come together to form a math equation. Crazy. Really. But yeah, went to Spanish, sat around in my office for a while getting little things ready for the next edition of the newspaper and waiting for College Algebra to start. Finally 11:00am rolled around and I strolled into class. After that was over, it was time for the Gay-Straight Alliance’s Valentine’s Day basket drawing. We decided to sell a basket for Valentine’s Day to raise money for Relay for life. Our earnings at first from ticket sales were abysmal, but Jake and Jessie went out and got more people to buy tickets. I sold six. We drew names and Yolanda W. won the basket. Yay for fighting cancer.

Ah yes, John Mayer just came on my play list. Now I feel alive. I love that man. Mr. John Mayer, if you ever happen to read this, give me a call!

But yeah, uneventful Valentine’s Day. But this weekend was a different story…

Saturday night, Jake, Samantha B., and I went to Valdosta. We did our usual round of Books-A-Million, Best Buy, and somewhere else that drains the wallet. After 30 minutes of driving around the Valdosta Mall, we finally decided on where we wanted to eat. Steak and Shake was the destination for our starving tummies. Oh, they just blinked the lights for us to leave the library. Damn a poor two year school who closes at 9pm everyday. Now I have to go to my room to finish this post. To be continued…..

Ok, now I’m sitting in the laundry mat downstairs in the dorms. I love wireless internet. So much fun. Any who, where was I? Oh, right, so we wrapped up our meal at Steak and Shake and finally we were going to meet up with Kayla. There had been talk all week of Sam, Jake, and I going to the club with Kayla, Nikki, and some of Kayla’s other friends. I didn’t want to go, but Sam said she wanted to do something different, and of course Jake was gung ho to do anything. So we went. We met up with Kayla and followed her to ‘Rumors’. Yep, that’s the name of the club-Rumors. We walked in, and I was sacred. Many times throughout my young life, I have been the only African-American amongst many white Americans. I have never been intimidated or scared, I was then. There was a sea of cowboy hats and tight jeans. Some men were sporting “urban” gear, but most could be described as your normal good ole’ boy from South Georgia—granted, there were some guys who had on polo’s and such, but I was still scared. Oh, and when we walked in some country music was blaring over the speakers. Fun. So we all go and sit around a table. Everyone is starting to loosen up and dance a little in their chairs. I don’t. I’m sitting there trying to read the place and see if I should be as freaked out as my spider senses were telling me to be when I first walked in. The house bad, appropriately named “Dixie Twisters” or something like that, got up and starting singing and hollering to what I guess are popular country songs. I was still freaked out. This when on for some time. The Dixie Twisters finally ended their set and sat down. Then the real music started. The dj stared playing some rap music. I normally don’t listen to rap music, but at the time anything that was remotely considered “black,” I was going to hang onto for dear life. Luckily I knew most of the rap songs they were playing. But it was quite humorous to see “cowboys” dancing to Ludicrous. Blah blah blah, fast forward to about 45 minutes later. After more rap songs, another set from the Dixie Twisters, some more rap music comes on. That song from Save the Last Dance—something about putting your back into it came on. I had to dance. So I did—Jake, Kayla, Nikki, and Kayla’s other friends all joined in. Sam wouldn’t come! But yeah, Jake got down on the dance floor. He had Kayla and Karen in hand and was dancing like no one else was there. Well done.

After a while I was tired and ready to go home, and we did. All in all it was an okay night. I don’t think I’ll be doing that anytime soon.

So this past week has been all about me bingeing. I went to Weight Watchers and learned that I gained five pounds. People. FIVE pounds. Do you know how much of a fat ass I feel like? I was doing so well, so now it’s back to square one.

Ok, well I’m tired of writing and I think my clothes are finally finished drying. I’m out.

Good day!