Friday, July 22, 2005

Day 1 - Adventure in New York

Well, we are here. What a night it has been. So, our flight was delayed three hours and then we spent one hour (which I slept through) on the plane, waiting for take off. The three hours spent in the airport weren?t that bad, but, wow, wait until I get to the good part. Oh, maybe I should start at the beginning. Frier called and woke me up around 9:30am. She was on her way to pick up Pepijn from Ashley?s house in Douglas, and they were on there way up to Atlanta. So I got dressed, ran a few errands, and before I knew it, they were there. My mother drove Frier?s van to the airport with me, Frier, Pepijn, and my Grandmother in tow. Fun times. So, speed up to Frier, Pepijn and I on the plane taking off. The flight was okay. Pepijn and I talked, laughed, played a little hangman. It was cool. SO, we get to the Newark, New Jersey airport. We are all a little tired from the trip, especially Frier from all the driving she had to do. We got a taxi to our hotel, well, I should say motel. The taxi driver was cool, a little talkative. But the city was amazing. The smell, the people, the buildings, the cars, the streets - everything just seems different. But then again, it could just be the jet lag affecting me. ANYWHO, I take all the luggage out of the taxi while Frier and Pepijn go inside the hotel to check us in. Ten minutes later Frier and Pepijn walk outside of the hotel with horrorstruck look on their faces. Frier comes up to me and says, ?Miguel, the room is small, it?s horrible.? I?m thinking to myself, it can?t be THAT bad. HA! I walk into the room; it?s the size of my old newspaper office, if smaller. It has one bed, no a/c, and THERE ARE PUBLIC RESTROOMS AND SHOWERS - NO PRIVATE BATHROOM OR SHOWER PEOPLE. This means we would be showering with God knows who else. My God. So, we put our luggage in the room, and walk out the hotel to regroup. Frier immediately jumps on her cell phone and starts to call people to see if we can find another hotel to stay in. Keep in mind, the time is now probably midnight. Frier ends up calling Phillip R. so he can check online and see if there are any hotels near. There aren?t. So we walk, and sit on these benches on 92nd Street and Broadway. We probably sat there for about an hour and a half while Frier and Pepijn talked to people to see if we could get a place. We walked to McDonalds where I had a raunchy double cheeseburger (did you know they can?t add mustard to burgers here?!) and stale French fries. Finally Phillip found us a hotel in Chelsea. That?s where we are now, and this is where Frier and I will remain for the remainder of the week. Help us lord. Well, my fingers are tired and it?s 4:18 in the morning. Time for bed. GOODNIGHT!
 Posted by Picasa