Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I have become so lazy since summer has started. I feel like my life has no purpose. There are no tests to study for, no newspaper deadlines, no meetings to plan, no social events, nothing. Well, just work, but that’s hardly challenging, just tiring. You would be surprised how stupid people are who come into Barnes & Noble. Especially the people who walk up to the Customer Service desk and say, “Um, I need help. (I can tell) I don’t know the name of the author, or the title of the book, but it’s about a man with problems.” People really come in and say stuff like that. So I’ll proceed to type into the computer “man with problems” and of course 38383473293 titles come up. So I’ll usually inform the customer that they have to be a bit more specific. Most times people get pissy and walk off. No skin off my back. Another thing about Barnes & Noble. The store I work in is located in a black area. We have a table filled with African-American fiction. Good. The only thing that bothers me is the titles that grace the table, titles such as “Project Chik,” “In Da Hood,” “Crack Head (this is really a title),” “Hustler’s Wife,” “I’m a whore and I love sucking…. (well not that extreme, but you get the point).” Do you see the problem? The black people who are reading these novels are reading, that’s wonderful, BUT, they are reading about the same trash that can be found in a large number of rap albums. Now don’t get me wrong, rap has its place, not all of it is bad – just like these books. I have read a couple of these books myself, BUT, they're not the only books I read, but some of our customers read these books religiously and nothing else. I fear they are polluting their minds with more trash. I hope they pick up a good Toni Morrison, Maya Angelou, Oprah’s Book Club selection book, Zora Neale Hurston, or Alice Walker book while picking up another Zane book.

Life in Hotlanta has been anything but hot. My days have consisted of going to work, coming home, getting on the net, talking to Freddy, and going to sleep. Every now and then Danielle and I will do something. Last night after work I went to her house and we rented “The Incredibles.” It was pretty good – you should see it! This Saturday Danielle and I are going down to Georgia Southern for SOAR. It’s where I sign up for my classes and feel like a freshman all over again. But I did hear some good news from Adam, Managing Editor of the George-Anne, and student newspaper of Georgia Southern. He called and told me last week that I was defiantly the Arts & Entertainment Editor for the newspaper. That made me smile. Now I just have to get involved with the radio.

Change is necessary, so here’s a new template. I never like them, they just grow on me. I think my new favorite color is gray – I’ve had three templates dealing with gray.

Any who, my financial life right now is a mess. I need another job—quick. I’m very disappointed I didn’t get an internship this summer, that would have been nice.

Eh, I was going to write more, but I’ve lost my train of thought.