Monday, July 14, 2003

Parents. You can’t live with them and you can’t live without them. I don’t understand my mother. She’s 45 years old, but though she acts as if she’s 18. There’s not one situation in particular that I can think to write about, it’s more of a lifetime of events. But I can say that since she hasn’t been there a lot of times, I have become very independent. Applying to college, getting finical aid, getting a dorm, EVERYTHING, that has to do with college, I did it myself. Most (not everyone, I’m not generalizing) students who went to my high school had their parents handle everything for them. I did it all myself, I’m not bragging, but it makes me feel really independent. When it comes to having to buy supplies, towels, whatever for school, I have to get it all myself. It’s not that my mom won’t buy the materials, it’s just that, well, she can’t. She doesn’t have a job, so she can't afford to buy things for me. But she, I hadn’t really thought about all this before, I knew she couldn’t buy anything for me; it’s not until I was talking to my friend Brian, that it this whole issue was brought to the forefront of my mind. I was explaining to Brian how I had just opened up my checking account, got my checks, and had went to the grocery store to purchase some food items. He was appalled; he couldn’t believe that I had to buy my own food. He thought that I should be saving my money for school; I totally agree with him, but if I have to buy food, then I have to buy food. I don’t like to ask my Grandmother for money because she’s going through financial problems herself. But I understand and see the point he was trying to make. I felt sorry for myself for a bit, but you what? You can’t do that in life. If were to all sit around and moan and complain about things that have been done to us, then most of the world would stop and nothing would happen. I’m just frustrated that I have to go through all this. I just have to keep telling myself that everything happens for a reason. Everything happens for a reason …