Sunday, January 19, 2003

This is so awesome. All my friends who go to my school know my obsession with Q100. It’s a radio station, it is so cool. I love their morning show, “The Bert Show” on Q100. It is so awesome. I interviewed the host, Bert, for a paper in English. I e-mailed it to him and this is what he wrote back:

“Hey Miguel,
Thanks so much for sending me the article. GREAT stuff. Really well written. You've made me trust the newspaper business again (kidding). One thing though. And I'm only going to give you this advice because I LOVE interviewing. Don't ever be afraid to ask the tough question. You said in your article that you were afraid to offend me about my life experience with my father. First, since I already commented publicly about it on the show you can assume that I'm comfortable talking about. Second, there's ALWAYS a way to ask a tough question without asking the actual question. You kinda got that when you asked about my childhood. But since I didn't give you the exact answer you were looking for you could have manipulated the question and asked "Did your parents have a big influence on your career?" At that point I probably would have answered your question by telling you that my dad
wasn't really supportive and then you could have skewed your line of questioning to that topic. If you chose radio, television or print...NEVER be afraid to ask the tough questions. Just be smart about it. Anybody can ask the easy questions but you have to remember that your audience is looking for some insight from your interview that they can't get from anybody else. When you ask the tough questions you achieve that goal. Just thought that might help ya in the future. Good luck, Miguel, and please keep me aware of your progress in the industry you chose.

Bert”

~~Wasn’t that awesome! I’m so excited. Maybe next time I’ll ask him if I can intern at the station this summer!