Monday, January 20, 2003

Today is Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Holiday. His birthday was a few days ago. Growing up as an African-American has meant many things to me. I’ve never really understood the message of Dr. king until now. When I was child I learned about Dr. King and knew all that he did, or so I thought. Every kid grows up knowing the “I Have a Dream” speech. But do they truly appreciate what he did for us? Do we, as Generation Y appreciate the struggles that our Grandmothers and Grandfathers went through. The other day my Grandmother and I were sitting down and watching a documentary on the Bus Boycotts and my Grandmother said she helped with that. She was involved with some of the marches. I mean, I was aware that my Grandmother was alive at that time, but it never surfaced in my mind that my Grandmother actually had a hand in the Civil Rights movement. I think we should all take a moment and think about the sacrifices that people have made for us.